Saturday, July 14, 2012

Magic mike…stripping Channing Tatum's real talent


      Chaning Tatum will always be Tyler Gage, his character in one of my favourite dance films – Step Up 1, for me. He was great dancer and actor there, together with his leading lady Jenna Dewan (who became his wife).  This is why even he done other movies including G.I. Joe and Dear John, I can’t see something special about them.
      However with Magic Mike, I’m so high again about him.  In this film, he did not only show his good physique but also his dance prowess again.  Ah every time he’s on stage, it was euphoria in my eyes.  He’s good in dancing, stripping and seduction. I think he’s also getting better when it comes to acting. Though I hope next time, he finds different attack in his roles.  His acting in this film is similar to Dear John with Amanda Seyfried, although I find him attractive in that romantic-drama movie.
Review:
  • ·         Yeah the biggest asset of the film is Magic Mike himself -Channing Tatum especially with his powerful moves.
  • ·         Good casting for Mathew McConaughey (The Wedding Planner & Sahara) who played Dallas, Alex Pettyfer ( Beastly and I’m No. 4) as Adam, Matt Bomer (White Collar and Joe Manganiello  played Richie as strippers.  You can’t deny that Conaughey is already getting old but he still has the curves and moves. Pettyfer on the other hand, is much mature and handsome here (compare to Beastly). To be honest, among the strippers, I like Manganiello. Apart from he’s macho and pretty boy, I find him cute when he’s sewing his undergarment. Hahaha!
  • ·         For me the leading ladies were also fantastic when in all aspects. Cody Horn (Brooke) and Olivia Munn (Joanna) maybe they are not that pretty but their beauty is appealing for me especially in the way they were presented in this film.    

  • ·      I don’t like the editing. I don’t know if it’s only in the Philippines but there lots of scenes that were abruptly cut. The transitions were not smooth and you might wonder you missed something.
  • ·         According to what I read the movie was based partly in Tatum’s former job as a stripper. So if it’s the case, now I know what’s going on club like this.  The dance steps, choreography, costumes and concepts were tastefully done.
  • ·         When it comes to screenplay, the loophole is they start it so simple, make it bigger along the way and end it hanging.  I’m not fully satisfied. You know, I get it that Brooke and Mike developed feelings for each. That was even if they have total different personalities and beliefs. Then after so many debates, in just one sequence you reconcile and made them kiss, finish! What’s that? Then Adam, after he’s sister warned him and Mike saved him from his debt and left club, he still working there. What’s the redeeming value of his character? But let’s see in how they will resolve these things when do the sequel, if there’s sequel.
  • ·         My favorite part of the film, beside when Manganiello’s sewing moment, was when Mike told Brooke that he’s job is not the whole thing about him. Then Brooke told Mike about his dreams, if he himself believes in his dream she will also believe. It is because it seemed Mike himself doubts in what he wants.

Reflection:
           For me, one of the hardest things to do is to explain your side to a person that you know will not going to believe in you, especially if she/ he has the reason to do so. Is it pride, being pessimistic or just simply not expressive type?
           The thing is not all people have time and ability to read your mind. In fact, it is natural to judge a person based on his/ her behaviour, background and looks. So it’s good to go out and address those misinterpretations about you. It takes time and effort, but it is the bridge for you to make them know who you are and what you are thinking.
          On the other side, people’s reaction about you is another face of the consequence of your action.  Take full responsibility in whatever you do or whatever you say. Be careful!
          Example: Because of my boyish fashion statement, some people think of me as tomboy or lesbian. I use it as a joke and excuse especially for the guys. This is a psychologically shield (“psy war”) for me- something like “back off if you think I’m weak.”
          I had a neighbour who courted me for so many months. I don’t like him, but he’s a friend so instead of telling him that, I said, I like someone else and she’s a girl.   That was very effective because he stopped but the side effect was very traumatic. He’s cousin who went back from States was my childhood crush. I think this guy also like me for so many romantic reasons, but maybe and since his cousin told him what I said, he never tried to court me. Sad L

No comments:

Post a Comment

and your opinion?