Friday, July 6, 2012

Reality Bites...very awesomely 90s

For the nth time, I watched again Reality Bites top billed by  Winona Ryder (BeetleJuice, Edward Scissorhand, Little Women & Girl Interruption) , Ethan Hawke (Dead Poet Society & Black Hawk Down), Ben Stiller ( There's Something About Mary). Maybe because I'm too fascinated with Winona's charm ( to extent that I want to follow her hairstyle now), Ethan's ragged machismo, or the way movie tackled the love and friendship during 90s.

 I remember when I bought my copy that from apart of  I'm looking for old films ( who's cheaper of course) with great stories, I was really want to see Winona during her heydays.  What I didn't know, I already saw this film when I was a kid. When I played it for the first time and saw the last scene, when she embraced Ethan, I remember that I asked  my second elder brother why he didn't tell me that he's watching VHS. lol!

Review: 

Reality Bites was actually different in a sense that Winona was acted as normal lass in this movie. Most of the time, she played off beat roles. In here, she wore the normal casual outfits and every plain Jane could relate to her even up to today's generation- like me. For your information also, this was the directorial debut of Ben Stiller and he was very serious here compare to his other more recent movies.

  1. Though the movie was shot in 1994, you can still relate to the characters. What they went through could be also your experience and you might also did what they did.
  2. I like the composition of the four-member group of Lelaina ( Ryder), Troy (Hawke), Vickie (Janeane Garofalo) and Sammy (Steve Zahn). Each of them had colorful background and personality. You can choose  which one can represent you.
  3. Even if the only songs that I know were Stay ( by Lisa Loeb) and My Sharona ( The Knack), the other tracks were cool and singable. My new favorite is Tempted by Squeeze.
  4. I'm not a fan of common love story that we get from fairy tales and telenovela (drama series). Though, you can find a bit of that in Michael (Stiller)-Lelaina-Troy's love triangle or simply in Lelaina & Troy tandem, I still find it interestingly lovely. To give you a hint, my favorite scenes/lines of Lelaina and Troy were 
Lelaina Pierce: I was really going to be somebody by the time I was 23. 
Troy Dyer: Honey, all you have to be by the time you're 23 is yourself. 
Lelaina Pierce: I don't know who that is anymore. 
Troy Dyer: I do. And we all love her. I love her. She breaks my heart again and again, but I love her.  

(source: IMDB)

(Troy:) Look, you are the only woman... that I could ever commit myself to.
         (Lelaina:) So what? Do I get a medal? I win the big commitment cook-off, and you just run away? I knew this was gonna happen! I knew this was gonna happen!
        (Troy:) I don't want to lose you. I've never been in an experience like this before. I've never had s?x with somebody that I loved before.
(Lelaina:) Oh, well, congratulations, Troy Dyer. Welcome to the world of the emotionally immature. It's a really nice place to visit. Hey, you may run into Michael. He lives here.
        (Troy:) Oh, yeah, right. Michael. Michael. He's so mature... because he lets you navigate that entire relationship.Well, I'm sorry, Lelaina, but you can't navigate me. I might do mean things, and I might hurt you...and I might run away without your permission... and you might hate me forever. And I know that scares the s??t out of you... because I'm the only real thing that you have.


Sourcehttp://www.script-o-rama.com

5. In our twenties, we have this liberty of finding our own identity and what we like to do with our career. This film can give you a lot of examples. Vickie though  not good in relationship and probably contracted A.I.D.S. but it comes to her work, she's really committed.

Lelaina Pierce: Hey, Sammy, what's your goal? 
Sammy: My goal is... I'd like a career or something. 





Lelaina Pierce: All right, fine. You wanna be in a band? Fine. Go ahead. Play every night. Play three times a night! Don't just d??k around the same coffee house for five years. Don't d??k around with her or with me. I mean, try at something for once in your life. Do something about it, but you know what? You better do it now, and you better do it fast, because the world doesn't owe you any favors.
source: IMDB


  

Reflection:

There are times that I encounter lines like " the most difficult part in this industry is to be yourself." It's true in most cases and in most fields. If you want to blend in, you must follow others system and almost forget your own identity.  I mean it could be, their identity is your identity.

And it's also so radical that you always prove yourself even if you don't have yet valid proof of your achievement or reputation.  It's really  hard to please every body, right?! So I guess the good steps are just do what you think is right and be open minded. In every challenges you take, it's who you are that acting. 






I remember when I had a chance to talk with my male classmate in high school (two years ago) on why he broke up with my friend (an honor student). He said, he talked with her mother about their relationship that time. The mother disapproved their relationship because of him.  Then he decided to break up with her right away. He said what he could do, he was considered bad person/student then. It was like he's gonna ruin her future.

Guess what? This former male classmate of mine now holds high position in an international mobile phone company.  He didn't end up with my friend but he found motivation to prove his capability.  

3 comments:

  1. never heard about this movie.. must find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go see it, it's very cool one.

      thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. i own a copy of this. it is really romantic and classic.

    ReplyDelete

and your opinion?