Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows...is Sherlock is Robert Downey Jr.


Before Iron Man, I don't know or I don't care who Robert Downey Jr. is.  Initially, I thought he looked old to portray a superhero. But when I finally watched the entire film, I started to admire Iron Man and him as an actor. So, whenever he has new movie I’m interested to see that.

Review:

A lucky guy that he is, Iron Man is not only his huge hit because, he has Sherlock Holmes (SH) too. If I like the first sequel of it, I’m also pleased with Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Though in my opinion, Tony Stark (alter ego of Iron Man) and Sherlock Holmes have almost the same character such as being brilliant but arrogant weird. It just they exist in different time, different set up, wear different suits, different side kick (Jarvis and Dr. John Watson), and love interests.

However, Sherlock Holmes offers vintage tone action-comedy.  The tandem of Downey and Jude Law (Dr. Watson) is something you look forward. Together they can produce funny moments, death defying scenes, unparalleled partnership and rapport. Whether they are close or not in real life, you'll not ask since they have chemistry on screen.

As Dr. Watson, Law can't be just any sidekick or support. He can stand alone in term of his character and acting.   I don't find him attractive physically but in accent, acting, and imaging- he's captivating. Other than The Holiday, Hugo (I hope to see Road to Perdition) and this film, I don't see any movie of him but by just watching these three I can say he has versatility.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows 

Compare to the first sequel, Rachel McAdams has very few exposures here though I think her character disappearance will solve in the third installment.  In replace of her, Noomi Rapace (Swedish film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo & Prometheus) played a gypsy from Paris Madam Simza Heron who went to London to find her lost brother. I can't see any indication that she's potential love interest for Sherlock but she's valuable accessory in the story. I hope there’s more spice to her character if there's another chance that she will be part SH again.

Unquestionably, the cinematography, setting, production design, costume and props are in sync to the theme of the movie.  That dark brown ambiance alone sets mood. You can easily recognize that the story happens in the old English time.                              

What can say about special effects especially those time-freeze action scenes? Unique, emphatic and fantastic.  I like every time Sherlock calculating the moves of his enemy and his possible counterattack. But the outstanding scene for me is when they are all running from the French police who are firing them with guns and canyon.


SH 1

I don't know if this is real one but if not, that castle in edge of the river is sort out of place in the theme. Although in the scene where Sherlock is battling with his arch nemesis Prof. James Moriarty (played by Jared Harris) it makes sense.  That final battle is subtle but very intelligently executed.

Do I like Sherlock Holmes because he's played by Robert Downey Jr? No, i like Sherlock Holmes because he's Robert Downey in different dimension.

Reflection:

In work, each of us has own method in solving problems. We maybe subject of questionable eyes based in our appearance, image and past performance but in the end what matters is the output that we can give.

When you treat your job as something that is more than just source of your income, no task is hard to finish, there's no demanding part of it, your coworkers are your best buddies and you enjoy it as part of your lifestyle.

It is easy to perceive that Sherlock’s work is very demanding and Sherlock himself is odd to put his life in it, but you know he didn't care because he enjoys it a lot with his buddy.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

and your opinion?